Friday, March 31, 2006

DAVE THE CADET...



This is my ANA (Army and Navy Academy) photo. ANA happens to be located directly on the beach and as a young cadet, was more interested in the Carlsbad wave patterns than my schooling. I was 13 when that picture was taken.

13 was the year I first smoked a cigarrette, smoked a joint, felt a tit and shredded some of the best waves of my life. Shortly before this pictue I earned my sharpshooter ribbon firing a Springfield 1903 30 cal.

Click on the photo to enlarge it and look into my eyes.

This was one of the best years of my life.

5 comments:

  1. Dave - I got this account of a jailbreak close to here (Angleton, Texas) in 1909, and the man-hunt and associated goings on, in which the old feller mentions that they had guns of all descriptions, one of which he called Craig Jarkensons. I googled it, but Google never heard of it either. Have you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello JD,
    Old timers have funny ways of saying things. I believe the weapon you heard/read about is a Krag-Jorgensen. I know of three models… the 1889 in 8mm…the 1894 in 6.6mm and the 1892 in .30 cal. In the order mentioned, they were made in Denmark, Norway and then the USA. All 3 had a mag capacity of 5 rounds and all were similar in weight and length. The names were Ole Krag and Erik Jorgensen. The US Army used them until they were replaced with the beloved Springfield. Denmark and Norway used them until the end of WWII. All models were bolt action. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I hope that was a test. I know how you Angleton boys are. I love to ace a test

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naw, I have lived in Brazoria for ten years, before that Freeport. I am not up to testing anybody.

    That makes a lot of sense, though. I am going to, when I get a release, post that narrative, even though it's about 6000 words. It's a good story and sheds a lot of light on the way things used to be in this part of Texas.

    Or, I could just email it to you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JD, by all means, email it to Dave AND Big Don.

    ReplyDelete